What equipment is needed to make VoIP successful?
We have all heard about the Voice Over IP service (VoIP for short), the new technology which permits the delivery of voice communications and various multimedia features over the Internet Protocol (hence the name). But not all of us are familiarized with the kind of equipment we will need if we decide to opt out for such service.
So, first things first, you will need an Internet connection, preferably a high-speed (or broadband) one, like DSL, T1 or a regular cable service. Obviously, a fiber link connection is the best there is, but it may get expensive, so a cable broadband or T-1 Service is the best low-cost alternative.
Now, with the Internet connection taken care of, the next best thing is to ask your VoIP provider about the equipment. Some of them don’t require anything special, except for a PC and a pair of headphones with a microphone (if you are using a softphone) or a handset and premise if you want. In other cases, you will have to use their own special adapters that will allow a VoIP connection over your high-speed modem and they will let you use their service.
The Most Common Devices Used in Voice Over IP Services
- ATA or Analog Telephone Adapters, these are used as the hardware interface between your “old school” analog PSTN telephone connection and the “high tech” VoIP line. This will be necessary only if you choose a monthly Voice over IP service, in the regular “PC to PC” VoIP you don’t need the ATA.
- Handset – The VoIP telephone sets may be required, depending on the type of service you have chosen. They are basically the hardware interface between you and the service.
- VoIP Routers are key elements which enable you to connect to the Internet. You will need an ADSL router if you’re using a broadband connection, in your home or at your place of business.
- PC Handsets look like regular telephones but they are connected to your PC via USB ports or via your sound card. They are delivered with dedicated software which makes it easier for you to use the VoIP service.
- PC Headsets are basically a pair of headphones with a microphone; this piece of hardware will enable you to receive audio input via the VoIP service and also to transmit your voice, via the microphone.
- Data Switch, you will need a data switch which has Quality of Service (QoS) and Virtual LAN capabilities. This is very important to ensure you have a quality VOIP service experience.
Based on your needs, you don’t have to be freaked out by these technicalities. Working with a qualified Installation partner will lead the way and ensure your VOIP Service experience is an excellent one.
Having a consistently reliable means of business communication with your customers is always assured, utilizing our best-in-class VoIP phone systems and VoIP Services.
WheelHouse Solutions will work with you to design a comprehensive VoIP solution that will deliver superior VoIP service, unparalleled service reliability, and peace of mind, for years after the sale. Click here or call us at 314-492-2506 for a free consultation.